Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hats off to Amish and his Shiva Trilogy

The world, as described in The Shiva Trilogy
Image courtesy:  http://shivatrilogy.com
I picked up 'The Immortals of Meluha' from a shelf marked 'New Arrivals' at the Landmark, Nungambakam. I have a craze of buying books, especially bestsellers and good old classics. But I read only half of those I bought so far. This book named 'The Immortals of Meluha' by Amish hooked right on my inclination for history-religion blends. Time was not right then for I kept it back in its place.
But recently I found this book again at my friend's place, and decided to borrow it from him. It will give a good break amongst the hectic work schedule, I hoped. And surprisingly, my friend had the sequel to it also. That was 'The Secret of the Nagas'. Appealing title again, and I borrowed that book too. 
Flawlessly flowing script of both these books helped me finish reading them in less than a week's time. [It took two years and a half for me to finish 'The Fountainhead'! Ofcourse it had to be helped out of a grave shelf, that was seldom used, to dust it off and be read]. And the best feature of the Shiva Trilogy is that the characters from the puraanas have been used efficiently, although Amish bails himself out smartly using a fictional probability on the personalities and time frames of existence of the iconic characters, to embellish in the mind of the reader a strong message on the good and the bad.
Shiva clearly exemplifies how to be human and impeccable at the same time and how battles are won with the way of the heart. As the second book concludes, it becomes clear how the good and the bad are the two sides of the same coin, how the evil can be found when the good is found, and how the very perception that forbodes evil at first notice might be deceptive and be the evil itself. The different interpretation of the meaning of 'Har Har Mahadev' is an inspirational one, to one and all of us. Ambiguity lies in whether it is 'Hara Hara Mahadev' or 'Har Har Mahadev'. In either case, the divinity exists, but the latter emanates immense energy and confidence. For it means each and every one of us is a Mahadev, the destroyer of the evil. Through Shiva and his devoted followers, the blind superstitions and unnecessary bloodshed are questioned, a matter of utmost importance in the present day turmoil. 
Instead of leading to blind beliefs, the Shiva Trilogy kindles intrigue in the readers. It will generate interest in the history and mythology of India in the minds of the youth. It definitely is a must read for everyone. The third and the last part of the series, 'The Oath of the Vayuputras' will be out by the end of this year. I am sure I would have read much more about Shiva and ancient India by then.
                                                              Har Har Mahadev !!!

6 comments:

  1. I loved 'The Immortals of Meluha' but 'The Secret of Nagas' was not that impressive to me. It started well but then drifted off but I am still waiting for the third edition. I am happy that Indian authors are becoming more and more bold and taking on difficult topics (history+mythology+fiction is very difficult to pull off)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And about your comment on 'the fountainhead', I am really surprised...Its one of the book, i read again and again whenever I am down in life and Howard Roark is one of the most inspiring figures in the whole of literature...May be you need to read it again. And make sure you read 'Atlas Shrugged' too...I know it might seem too big and at times tend to be a bit repetitive but the absolute joy of reading some of the best lines ever written is good enough of a reward. As a person who had a bit of leftish inclination, I was very biased against Ayn Rand but after reading Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, I have been well and truly converted and people who really understands her work would never say that she is a capitalistic propaganda writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ullas: the secret of the nagas has much more ancient indian history to reveal than its prequel. and more philosophy also. in that way it makes up for its detours.
    and about the fountainhead - it looked a scary book, so even though i bought the book, i never opened it for two years!! and once i started reading it, i knew the greatness of the work.. brilliance..i finished reading it much faster than i thought..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if there was any new philosophy in the Secret of Nagas that was not mentioned in the first volume...Most of the part I felt were more of the extension of the philosophy which were mentioned as part of the last few chapters in the first volume after they had won the war and what he discovered at the temple.I have to say I don't remember it fully now because I have read as soon as it came (infact did a pre-order in flipkart and completed reading on the first day of its release) but I didn't find anything really new rather than whatever I have expected. May be if there is anything I have missed, I would like to know so that I can go back and read it again.

      Delete
    2. i agree, not much of philosophy, but that one chapter on 'karma' where the young Shiva has a conversation with his uncle is one i would pick out. And probably the Brhaspati lecture at the Naga library.. that's all i remember, to be frank. :)

      Delete
  4. I too loved 'The Immortals of Meluha' and 'The Secret of Nagas' basically for the way the author tried see mythology through the eyes of a historian,sure it was a brave and bold attempt trying not to pollute mythology while doing justice to the theme at hand.Can't wait to read the next one :)

    ReplyDelete