Thursday, November 5, 2015

Why do Indian names tend to be longer than Western names?

Picture courtesy: www.pinterest.com
This is a follow-up on a discussion I had with an American friend, after he asked me the question why do Indians have longer names. I didn't have an answer ready, however, as I went on to beat around the bush and to give a vague explanation, this thought came into my mind. It makes sense to me, although I am not very confident partly because of I am not proficient in any Indian language, including my mother tongue, Malayalam. Let me try to explain for this lack of proficiency before you judge me - I have had no formal training in Malayalam, because my school never had Malayalam as a course. I know to speak very well, and to write well, and to listen very well. However, my literary skills are poor.
Getting back to the topic of interest here - I feel that the reason why Indians have longer names and Westerners have shorter names is due to differences in what I would call the "letters-to-syllables ratio". I would illustrate this in an example here. In Malayalam, my name "Vineet" has 3 main letters (forms of the English letters "v", "n", and "t", pronouced "va", "na", and "tta" respectively) and 3 syllables (pronounced "vi", "nee", and "tt" respectively). In contrast, you already know that the same name in English has 6 letters (v, i, n, e, e, and t) and 2 syllables ("vi" and "neet". note that the final "t" is not emphasized). In this example, Malayalam has a letters-to-syllables ratio of 3/3 = 1, whereas English has a letters-to-syllables ratio of 6/2 = 3. This is a form of compression ratio, as it is evident from the example. In a general sense, the English language is able to compress more letters, and hence the information content (information density) is higher for an English name when compared to that of an Indian name.
Now that you have seen the difference using an Indian name ("Vineet") as an example, I will explain the same concept using an English name as an example. The English name Shakespeare has 11 letters and 2 syllables, whereas when written in Malayalam, the same name has 6 letters (the main letters are pronounced "sha", "ka", "sa", "pa", "ya", and "ra") and 4 syllables (pronounced as "shay", "kku", "spee", and "yer"). The letters-to-syllables ratio for this example is 11/2 = 5.5 in English and 6/4 = 1.5 in Malayalam.
The key point that you would see from these two examples is that the higher is letters-to-syllables ratio (the information density), the less is the number of syllables that needs to be used; and the number of syllables is what decides the length of a name.
However, there are two other important notes to be made before concluding this article. First, it should be noted that new-generation Indian names are shorter than older names. Hence Westerners would not find many young Indians who have shorter names. Second, there are Westerners with longer names. For example Arnold Schwarzenegger!
So I believe it is not the length of the name that bothers the Westerners; instead, it is the structure of the Indian names that makes those hard for the Westerners to pronounce. In any case, what's in a name?
PS: This idea is only an opinion. Any reader who feels has different thoughts or who has suggestions, please feel free to comment. Thanks!   

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to my friend Ajeya who shared this quote of Richard Feynman: "You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
    More details are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_7j72CVlc
    and here: https://books.google.com/books?id=_HskCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=feynman+lecture+1+name+of+a+bird&source=bl&ots=lMvkQdilTt&sig=sVjgHPqwG2JCJOnJqAAM27aFPCY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCsQ6AEwA2oVChMI35fIhL_6yAIVi3Q-Ch2PjwLg#v=onepage&q=feynman%20lecture%201%20name%20of%20a%20bird&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright a correction pointed out by my cousin Sachin - that Arnold Schwarzenegger is Austrian by birth, which explains the length of the name. So probably Americans do not have long names after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ratio concept is interesting and I'd love to know what a linguist expert would think of your theory. To test your theory further you could have maybe taken a name from north/east India and broken it down too. :) Also, I think your American friend might have referred to the length of your name in terms of your last and middle name too. ;) When I read the title of the article I was expecting a justification for longer middle and last name rooted in the oriental collectivist - western individualist angle, but your take was a pleasant and illuminating surprise. Kudos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention.
    حروف الانجليزي

    ReplyDelete